Friday, August 10, 2012

Sculptris Ecorche 01


Yesterday I started doing an ecorche in sculptris. Not enough people give Z-brush's new younger brother enough credit, so I thought I’d see if I could do a serious anatomical study in it. It occurred to me this afternoon that it might be worthwhile to document it here. So, without further ado, Sculpting an ecorche in Sculptris...



I started by doing anatomical drawings showing the origins and insertions of the first muscle groups I would be sculpting: pectoralis major and the biceps brachii. Ryan Kingslien’s Youtube videos were extremely helpful in wrapping my head around the form and function of these muscles. You should check them out too! I later documented the deltoid, triceps brachii, teres major and minor, and infraspinatus.








Next I looked at the attachment of the serratus anterior, the external obliques, and the rectus abdominus (abs). The relationship of the obliques to the serratus and the abdominals has always confused me. Doing this sculpture has helped a lot, but it’s still a weird set of muscles.


When it came to the actual sculpting, I worked on top of a freely available .obj file of a skeleton from Joel Mongeon’s site. I imported that obj into sculptris, and started working. Each muscle group is made from an individual sphere of clay. I did this mimicking Ryan Kingslien’s Anatomy models, but I found it incredibly time consuming to do in sculptris at first.



As I learned more about the program and better managed the detail in my objects, things got a lot easier. The information in this cheat sheet is invaluable. It has a lot of info about keyboard shortcuts and hidden tools in sculptris. I feel like I’m just scratching the surface here!


So, here’s my progress after one night sculpting. I’ll be continuing to work on and adjust this as I go.






No comments:

Post a Comment